Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Cold Day

Today I went to uni for a 2 hours tute at 2pm. When the tute finished, I quickly rushed to the bus station to catch the earliest bus to Canning Bridge. I needed to arrive at work in 1 hour so missing that bus wouldn't be an option.

As I got on to the bus and then got off at Canning Bridge, I realised that it was quite cold and windy even though I was wearing my long work pants. I rushed down the stairs and tap my smartrider on to the machine.
I looked up and there it was. 39 mins wait. I was like omg. I'm gonna be late!

Then the bottom part of the screen said something along the lines "We had a distraction in one of the train stations therefore there will be a delay in the train times. We apologise for the inconvenience." I decided to call the pharmacy telling them that I'm gonna be late for work, but then the train arrived a couple of minutes later. Thank God. I was 20 minutes late however.

Work went quite fast, and learned several new stuff. Shawn picked me up and he told me about an incident that apparently happened in one of the train stations. One or two (I'm not sure) people suicided. No wonder there was the delay. I was so surprised and so sad to hear that. And got reminded of an article I read this morning by a pharmacist who wrote on his blog about how depression is on an increase in this generation. I also learned a few antidepressant names in the pharmacy and nearly every week handed out at least one or two prescriptions. Often, the person receiving the medication doesn't look like they are depressed. They often looked like their lives are just normal. It made me wonder why.

Maybe it's because our generation needs to do so much more multitasking and have a much more hectic lifestyle than our parents to keep up with the modern world. Maybe it's because of the exaggerated fashion and self image demands that we face everyday. The pressures to be beautiful and to be physically flawless. To confide in looks over inner beauty. And all these other stress triggers. And there so many other reasons that I don't know but it is there and it is very close to us.Who knows, I might get depressed one day. Because I for one often think about my looks and would find so many flaws in them.

So going back to the incident, it wasn't a very happy day for a lot of us in Perth today. But just remember, that these things can happen anytime and anywhere. That's why it's the job of each and every one of us to take care of the people around us and make sure that they can have a chance to get help before doing anything dangerous. Especially the people close to us. Take care!


2 comments:

Cass said...

I didn't know that there had been a suicide at a Perth train station today. That's really sad :(

What article was it that you read?

It's interesting that you said the people picking up their antidepressants don't look depressed. When I go to the pharmacy to get escitalopram dispensed, I always wonder what the Pharmacist or Pharmacy Assistants think. I used to think it'd be obvious if someone had depression too but through meeting lots of people with depression an other mental illnesses, I've realized that it's not alway apparent.

MOnster a.k.a monica said...

Yeah apparently there was.. But I haven't heard it on tv?

The article was:
http://eric-rph.blogspot.com/2010/08/dumbest-generation.html

I agreed with some points he made but he kinda talked a bit harsh about some stuff. The comments were interesting too you should read it :)

And yeah, like you really can't tell. For example there was this old man, looks very normal to me, or this very cheery lady, or this really well groomed girl in her 20s I think. I didn't know they were depressed until I learned the names of the medications for depression.

I think though, depression probably exist in the olden days as well. The data says that it's increasing now maybe because our medical records are much better nowadays and the stigma surrounding it is less than what it was before, so more people are identified?