Monday, September 20, 2010

No more cloud in sight! PART I

As some of you know, I had a cataract surgery done about 3 months ago. "A cataract?! At your age?? I thought it's only for old people..." That would be the response I get from friends, aunties/uncles, even optometrists and doctors..How did it happen? When did you realise you had it? Is it clear now?? Was the operation scary?? Well.. here goes the story..

Starting around late Year 11 in 2007, I started to have this lil tiny bit of itchy, dry patch of skin on my left eyelid. I didn't know what it was, and I thought it was just simply because of the dry weather. I put on my moisturiser as usual but it never did got away. I would have days when my double eyelid would be retarted cos of this dry patch lol. One day, a friend at school told me that she thinks that it's eczema! I was like.. what's eczema? She told me about it and that would be the first time I know about the condition. Afterwards I just totally forgot about it. 

2008. TEE. The stressful year 12. I started having intensely itchy skin on the insides of my elbows and behind my knees, then the neck and under my eyes. When my GP told me that it's eczema, I got reminded of what my friend told me the previous year! For those who are not familiar with it:
"Eczema is a term used to describe itchy, red inflammation of the skin with oozing of fluid and crusting, which doctors also describe as atopic dermatitis. People who have eczema usually have a family history of asthma, hay fever and atopic dermatitis (eczema). Some people who have eczema also have asthma or hay fever." http://www.dermcoll.asn.au/public/a-z_of_skin-eczema.asp
I got prescribed some creams which are called "corticosteroids" which are, well, steroid based. I did read the precautions etc on the package, and was being careful of not putting too much of the cream on my skin. However, the creams only worked for a few while and then my eczema got worse. The GP referred me to the dermatologist and I went to the one in Applecross.

What can I say... The visit was :S . pretty much I went in, then the dermatologist said: "So, you have eczema is it? (He found out from the sheet I filled in at the reception) Can I have a look?" Then I said, " Yes, it's here and here and here and a little bit here". He straight away went to me, roll up my pants sleeves, roll up the back of my shirt and checks the eczema. I was a bit :S Also, the consulation was probably only about 20 minutes? Including the time he spends on writing the prescriptions, which seems longer than the information that he gave me about the condition or the drug. 

He prescribed me the low dosage cream (I found out from the Australian Pharmaceutical Formulary book that a Pharmacy student/Pharmacist must buy. Pretty handy huh ;) ). As before, it worked for a while, then it didn't work. And worst, it made really deep wrinkles and extra extra dry skin under my eyes! I pretty much looked like a granny! He then gave me a stronger one that in the end works, but he never told me that I am not to put it under my eyes or anywhere near my eyes! I also want to mention that the eczema was gone, but the deep deep wrinkles did not.

I went to another dermatologist in Fremantle on recommendation from 2 friends. He was so much better, explained everything thoroughly, and told me that I am NOT to put those creams under my eyes, and even labeled the tubes as to which one is okay for the face and which one for the body. 

2010. University, I'm much better at handling my eczema. Know when to put my creams and when to just continue moisturising it. But guess what started happening on my eyes... Cataracts. 

(to be continued) sorry it's long xD It is a long story afterall..


No comments: